Job Vacancy: Communications Officer
Reports to: Head of External Affairs
Role: Full time position
Location: Central London - although some travel will be required
Salary: £25,000 - £28,000 pa
The ScaleUp Institute is seeking a Communications Officer to join our growing team, reporting to the Head of External Affairs and working closely with the CEO.
The ScaleUp Institute (SUI) is a private sector, not-for-profit organisation focused on collaborating with Government, policy makers, corporate partners and educational establishments to make a real and identifiable impact in helping our UK high growth businesses to grow further and ‘scale up’.
We aim to advance understanding of how to scale up a business, and how to build the most effective environment in which scaleups can flourish. We spread good practice, providing opportunities for scaleup companies across industry sectors and regions to meet and share ideas. We undertake research, thought leadership and targeted projects with partners.
We share our methodology and ideas to create resources that will help aspiring scaleup businesses. We keep scaleups and their issues at the top of the UK political and business agendas including in the recent Industrial Strategy.
Our network is at the heart of our support. Through our wide variety of activities, our economic development programme and our research and policy committees and research agenda, we enable cross-sections of private and public sector local, national and international ecosystems to work and learn from each other. Thereby developing and assessing initiatives to close the “scaleup gap” and provide solutions to the leaders of our scaling and scaleup businesses.
We are looking for a communications professional with an understanding of research and policy to deliver our external communications and support the strategic growth of the ScaleUp Institute. You will promote the profile and activities of the Institute and create the content and communications plan working closely with the Head of External Affairs and the CEO as well as the broader SUI team.
Main functions of the job
(Note: In addition to these functions are required to carry out other duties as may reasonably be required)
- Manage full spectrum of external communications (Newsletters, ambassador updates, blogs, social media, web / social media, etc.)
- Manage media opportunities and content, including press releases; trade publications, SUI website, etc.
- Work on SUI strategic events and thought leadership publications, including Annual Review, Indices and Insights.
- Work on communication strategies in conjunction with the CEO including speech writing; specialist articles, etc.
- Work closely with partners in developing content/ comms opportunities.
- Work closely with local areas and stakeholders including the development of regional events.
- Liaise with external designers for content production (digital and print).
The role will include:
Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
- Production of regular newsletters and bulletins, including CEO newsletters, drawing from news sources and SUI activities.
- Managing media engagement / producing press releases etc. for national, local and specialist media.
- Being a key co-ordinator of regional roundtables and education events.
- Building on the segmentation of our audiences and creation of bespoke communications plans for each segment.
- Promoting SUI activities and profile through a variety of channels.
- Promoting initiatives geared towards the entrepreneurial and investment community.
- Actively engaging with the annual scaleup survey and help to increase scaleup business participation.
- Writing blog posts for ScaleUp Institute website and other external sources.
- Developing fresh content for publication by working with ScaleUp Institute researchers and research partners.
- Working with published and new research content to create materials for dissemination (e.g. stakeholder briefings)
- Distilling case study research into summaries; insights; infographics; etc., for publication, using the detailed analysis conducted by our researchers to create the published copy.
- Fully contributing to the writing and development of the Annual Review and other ScaleUp Institute publications. Highlight publications and works by our partners and others in the ecosystem through social media or other appropriate channels.
- Supporting the publishing process where necessary by working with designers and printers to ensure content is appropriate and accurate.
- Managing social media engagement, by creating new content (writing daily tweets; weekly LinkedIn posts) and listening to and engaging with the agenda (via retweets, media scans, etc.)
- Working confidently with WordPress to keep the website up to date. We have website support for more complex changes, you will ensure the content, including graphics, is refreshed regularly.
- For further information see: http://www.scaleupinstitute.org.uk/
- Graduate or equivalent professional experience with 2+ Years’ experience in related roles
- Excellent communication and copywriting skills and a communications specialist.
- Experience in corporate and public communications, digital marketing and project management
- Media engagement
- Experience of working in a research and policy organisation, trade association, membership organisation or start-up would be desirable
- Experience of working within the business or finance industry is a plus.
- Detail oriented and quality obsessed
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Outstanding organisational and planning abilities; project management
- Excellent command of English
- Experience in WordPress, basic graphic editing and content production (or willingness to learn if you’ve used an alternative website CMS in the past)
- Solid understanding of project management principles
- Computer literacy including MS Office suite and Google Docs/Drive functionality
- Photo and video-editing software experience is an asset
To Apply: Please send a CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Sunday 22 September