Job Vacancy: Research Assistant
Reports to: Lead Researcher
Role: Full time position
Location: Central London - although some travel will be required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The ScaleUp Institute is seeking a research assistant to join our growing team, working with our Lead Researcher to conduct in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis on the UK’s fastest growing businesses.
This, private sector, not-for-profit institution is focused on collaborating with corporates, educational establishments and local and national Government to make a real and identifiable impact in helping our UK high growth businesses to grow further and ‘scaleup’. We aim to advance understanding of how to scale up a business, and how to build the most effective environment in which scaleups can flourish.
The analysis we undertake is highly quantitative – part of our core purpose is to engage as a national data observatory, providing insight on the scaleup ecosystem across the UK, disseminating and analysing the most recent data, ensuring scaleup businesses are on the map and providing benchmarks for the landscape each year to see where more can be done.
Our network is at the heart of our support. Through our wide variety of activities, our economic development programme, our policy committees and research agenda, we enable cross sections of private and public sector local, national and international ecosystems to work and learn from each other. Thereby developing and assessing initiatives to close the ScaleUp gap and provide solutions to the leaders of our scaling businesses. We spread good practice and undertake research, thought leadership and targeted projects.
We work with public and private sector partners to identify opportunities that will support scaleup businesses, and our work has had an impact: the ScaleUp agenda is firmly part of the Government’s Industrial Strategy White Paper, Export Strategy and Patient Capital Reviews. We share our methodology and ideas to create resources that will help aspiring scaleup businesses.
Main function of job
- Assisting in the research and analysis of a range of sensitive data and information from Partners and others in the business ecosystem to support the ScaleUp Institute’s programme of work.
- Working with the Lead Researcher to interpret and analyse a range of statistical information, including numbers of scaleups and pipeline of scaling businesses, through detailed processes and procedures.
- Contributing to research and local area assessments/ monitoring. This will include assisting the evaluation of ScaleUp programmes and initiatives to turn into effective case studies.
- Assisting with case study assessments.
- Supporting the agreed research agenda within the Scaleup themes of Leadership, talent and skills, access to markets, finance and infrastructure.
- Supporting the annual scaleup survey and review process of which the research work will play a key role.
- Supporting the SUI overall work programme
(Note: In addition to these functions you may be required to carry out additional duties as may reasonably be required)
Education and Experience
- A good honours degree (or predicted), with a quantitative component.
- Computer literacy, in particular experienced in Microsoft Excel along with Google Docs functionality.
- Demonstrable experience of data analysis.
Experience, knowledge and skills required
- Knowledge, understanding and interest in business growth and public policy.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new software or programming languages.
- Experience with data analytical/statistical software packages (Stata, R, Python, SPSS or equivalent) beneficial.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including technical writing skills.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Highly numerate, with good grasp of statistical reasoning.
- Scaleup ecosystem interest beneficial.
- Good time/work management and high regard for timetables and variable workloads.
- Good team-worker and communicator
- Reliable and diligent
- Proactive self-organiser and uses own initiative
- Good attitude to learning and professional self-development
- Diplomacy and political awareness
- Ability to multi-task and a strong organisational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and the maturity to deal with a broad range of high level stakeholders with discretion
- A can-do attitude and willingness to get involved beyond the job description
- Flexibility to work outside office hours when required.
Please send a CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Candidates will be required to perform a short data analysis task prior to interview.