Research & Data Analyst
Full time position
May 9, 2021
Reports to: Head of Research & Data Analytics
Role: Full time position
Location: Central London – although some travel will be required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The ScaleUp Institute is seeking an experienced research and data analyst to join our growing team.
This, private sector, not-for-profit institution is focused on collaborating with Government, policy makers, corporate partners and educational establishments to make a real and identifiable impact in helping our UK high growth businesses to grow further and ‘scaleup’.
We aim to advance understanding of how to scaleup a business, and how to build the most effective environment in which scaleups can flourish. We spread best practice and undertake research, thought leadership and targeted projects with partners.
We work with policy makers to identify opportunities that will support scaleup businesses. We share our methodology and ideas to create resources that will help aspiring scaleup businesses.
Working with the UK Government and other influential and connected partners, we ensure our aims are conveyed and seek to influence decisions that will enable companies to scale their business. The scaleup agenda is firmly embedded in ongoing government work.
Our network is at the heart of our support. Through our wide variety of activities, our economic development programme, our policy committees and research agenda, we enable cross sections of private and public sector local, national and international ecosystems to work and learn from each other. Thereby developing and assessing initiatives to close the ScaleUp gap and provide solutions to the leaders of our scaling businesses.
Main function of job
- Researching and analysing a range of sensitive data and information from Partners and others in the business ecosystem to support the ScaleUp Institute’s programme of work.
- Monitoring scaleup activity to provide market information and insight.
- Assessment, interpretation and analysis of a range of statistical information, including numbers of scaleups and pipeline of scaling businesses, through detailed processes and procedures.
- Leading research assignments and local area assessments/ monitoring. This will include identifying and evaluating ScaleUp programmes and initiatives to turn into effective case studies.
- Supporting the Annual ScaleUp Survey and Review.
- Supporting the agreed research agenda within the Scaleup themes of Leadership, Talent and Skills, Access to Markets, Finance and Infrastructure.
(Note: In addition to these functions you may be required to carry out additional duties as may reasonably be required)
Education and Qualifications
- A good honours degree and preferably relevant Postgraduate degree.
Experience, knowledge and skills required
- At least 2-3 years experience in research and analysis of business and financial markets.
- Knowledge, understanding and interest in business growth, the scaleup ecosystem, international policy, entrepreneurialism, entrepreneurial finance. Cross-sector interest beneficial.
- Highly numerate with excellent skills in data analytics.
- Good knowledge of a variety of survey, statistical and data analysis methodologies and analytical software packages: such as SQL, Python / R, tableau, SPSS, Stata.
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including technical writing skills.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Proven track record in contributing to published research and analysis.
- Good time/work management and high regard for timetables and variable workloads.
- IT literacy (particularly Microsoft Office, Google docs, and advanced Google sheets /MS Excel skills).
- Good team-worker and communicator
- Reliable and diligent
- Proactive self-organiser and uses own initiative
- Natural curiosity
- Seeks opportunities to learn and develop professionally
- Diplomacy and political awareness
- Ability to multi-task and a strong organisational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and the maturity to deal with a broad range of high level stakeholders with discretion
- A can-do attitude and willingness to get involved beyond the job description
- Flexibility to work outside office hours when required.
Please send a CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for a role or internship
The ScaleUp Institute is always happy to hear from talented, enthusiastic and committed people looking to join our team.
Job vacancies will be published in this area when they become available.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter by email to email@example.com