Public Affairs and Policy Officer
Full time position
February 28, 2021
Reports to: Head of External Affairs
Contract: Full time position
Location: ScaleUp Institute, Central London – although some travel will be required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the ScaleUp Institute
The ScaleUp Institute is seeking an experienced Public Affairs and Policy practitioner to join our growing team and join a dynamic company to drive forward the UK scaleup opportunity.
This private sector, not-for-profit institution is focused on collaborating with Government, policy makers, corporate partners and educational establishments to make a real and identifiable impact in helping our UK high growth businesses to grow and ‘scale’.
We aim to advance understanding of how to scaleup a business, and how to build the most effective environment in which our growing and scaling firms can flourish. We spread best practice and undertake research, thought leadership and targeted projects with partners.
We work with policy makers to identify opportunities that will support scaleup businesses. We share our methodology and ideas to create resources that will help aspiring scaleup businesses. We keep scaleups and their issues at the top of the UK political and business agenda.
Working with the UK Government and other influential and connected partners, we ensure our aims are conveyed and seek to influence decisions that will enable companies to scale their business.
Our network is at the heart of our support. Through our wide variety of activities, our economic development programme, our policy committees and research agenda, we enable cross sections of private and public sector, local, national and international ecosystems to work and learn from each other. Thereby developing and assessing initiatives to close the ScaleUp gap and challenges which exist across a range of areas including in access to markets; talent; finance and infrastructure. So that we can provide the right solutions across the public, private and education sectors, to the leaders of our scaling businesses. The role encompasses detailed activity across all national, devolved and regional policy matters.
You will work closely with the Head of External Affairs and CEO in managing the public affairs and policy work of the ScaleUp Institute and associated communication strategies.
You will drive and support interaction with political and local ecosystem stakeholders (parliamentarians, select committees, government bodies, city and local authorities, etc) in support of our overall objectives. In this fast-paced environment, you will play a key role working with the Head of External Affairs in planning, developing and implementing public affairs and associated communication strategies and follow through with key stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include, alongside the Head of External Affairs, Government engagement at political and official level, producing key ScaleUp Institute internal and external public affairs updates for our partners and ambassadors drawing upon a wide range of sources and contacts; creating public affairs strategic content for web, national and regional media and social media engagement, and; drafting policy documents and briefings in support of key ScaleUp Institute objectives and engagements
You are degree educated with at least 2 years experience of politics/public affairs and communications. You display a breadth of knowledge across politics and communications, showing a clear understanding of how to deliver outstanding political engagement, with a keen eye for detail. You have a strong understanding of the UK Parliamentary system and legislative process. You are comfortable managing multiple priorities, and can evidence excellent project management skills.
Areas of responsibility
- Supporting the CEO and Head of External Affairs on engagement across political and official landscape within UK Government and across the UK regions/ devolved nations;
- Development and implementation of public affairs strategy;
- Monitoring of key political developments including support to relevant engagement by ScaleUp Institute to Select Committee inquiries, APPGs etc
- Responses to Government consultations and Select Committee enquiries
- Speech preparation
- Thought leadership and research engagement
- Creating and developing content to ScaleUp Institute communications strategy as regards the public affairs arena e.g. parliamentary briefings, ambassador briefings, administration of roundtables etc.
Skills & experience
- Appropriate degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record in existing public affairs, political work.
- Proven ability to manage political and local government relationships.
- Excellent understanding of UK Government, politics and policy at local, regional and national level.
- Key knowledge of business policy matters and those affecting the talent, skills, finance and international strategies of UK policy making.
- Excellent relationship management skills in dealing with stakeholders across a variety of platforms, localities and political parties.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills evidenced by the production of compelling copy to a varied audience.
- Understanding of the business, education, skills, and local government policy areas.
- Understanding of Trade Association, Think Tank and ‘knowledge economy’ organisations and operations are a benefit.
- Ability to work on own initiative, self-directed and highly motivated.
- You pay close attention to detail, are well organised, with excellent time management skills, and are accustomed to working to tight deadlines.
- You build relationships effectively and quickly, are supportive, enthusiastic, adaptable and proactive, thriving on meeting personal and company goals.
- Good team-worker and communicator.
- A can-do attitude and willingness to get involved beyond the job description.
To Apply: Please send a CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for a role or internship
The ScaleUp Institute is always happy to hear from talented, enthusiastic and committed people looking to join our team.
Job vacancies will be published in this area when they become available.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter by email to email@example.com